Website Council for a Strong America
Texas State Director
The Texas State Director will report to the Vice President of State Operations and Policy.
State Operations- Texas
Council for a Strong America (CSA) is a national nonprofit organization based in
Washington, D.C. with staff in nine states, including Texas. CSA seeks a new State
Director for Texas who has the vision, relationships, and expertise to increase the
impact of our organization on children’s policy in Texas. The qualified candidate will be a
senior-level, well-networked, and experienced leader of public policy advocacy projects.
The State Director will work solo in the state with substantial remote support from the
national organization and will be responsible for all aspects of mobilizing our bipartisan
law enforcement, retired military, and business leader membership organizations in
support of a state policy agenda that ensures Texas children have the opportunity to
succeed starting from birth.
The successful candidate will have experience with Texas K-16 education, early
childhood, and/or children’s health policy, as well as a deep understanding of the
political landscape of Texas. The State Director must be self-directed and able to work
independently, and must also possess the diplomatic and interpersonal skills necessary
to work with a wide variety of stakeholders, including our members, policymakers,
partner organizations, funders, and teams across our national organization. Passion for
policy advocacy, entrepreneurial instincts, and the determination of an organizer are
character traits that are essential for success in this role.
Responsibilities and Duties
The State Director:
● Develops a state policy agenda and strategic advocacy plan, that includes direct
outreach to policymakers, to support it.
● Identifies policy opportunities in coordination with state and local allies and
1212 New York Avenue NW / Suite 300 / Washington, DC 20005 / 202.464.7005
● Recruits and mobilizes law enforcement, retired military and business leaders.
● Cultivates relationships with policymakers, members, funders, allies, and media.
● Takes a lead role in fundraising efforts for the state, with support from the
national Development Team.
● Works closely with national teams based in Washington, DC as well as with other
staff across the country.
● Tracks the state office budget.
● Ten or more years of policy-advocacy experience with a focus in K-16 education
policy, early childhood policy, and/or children’s health policy.
● Existing networks with children’s advocacy organizations and/or funders.
● Existing networks with Texas policymakers.
● Strong understanding of the state legislative process and advocacy strategies.
● Strong commitment to our mission and strategic vision; appreciation for the
advocacy value of unexpected messengers from the business, military, and law
● Superior diplomatic skills and ability to work effectively with complex
relationships; ability to persuade others to join a cause and take action.
● Ability to build good working relationships with remote national teams in
support of a Texas policy agenda.
● Fundraising or funder relationship management experience.
● Highly organized with the ability to juggle multiple projects at once, and respond
rapidly and flexibly to changing priorities.
● Capacity to independently learn and work with technological platforms including
Salesforce and Google Drive/Docs/Sheets.
● This position is work-from-home and may be based anywhere in the state, but a
regular presence in Austin will be required during the state legislative session.
Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training,
Frequent travel in-state for 1-3 days per trip is required; occasional travel out-of-state
Only applications with a cover letter explaining their interest and qualifications for the
position included will be considered. Click the link to apply. https://www.strongnation.org/about/our-organization/careers
Council for a Strong America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is seeking a diverse
slate of candidates for formal consideration
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.strongnation.org/about/our-organization/careers →